We are pleased to announce that as of July 1, 2021 – Kelly & Rubin LLP will split into two independent law firms:
Michael F. Rubin Law Group, P.C. & Robert P. Kelly Law P.C.
Robert P. Kelly and Michael F. Rubin will continue to provide personalized and strategic legal services to our clients without any interruption.

Free Consultations | Available 24/7

Servicios en Español

Addressing Common Concerns
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Law
  4.  » Criminal Defense FAQ

Answering Your Questions In An Uncertain Time

The criminal legal process can be intimidating and put your liberty, reputation and future at stake. With over 30 years of experience, the attorneys at The Rubin Law Group & Robert P. Kelly Law P.C., offer the knowledgeable, aggressive representation New Yorkers need to address pressing concerns throughout a stressful time.

Read on for some of our most frequently asked questions:

When Should I Speak With An Attorney?

Immediately after your arrest, if you are interrogated, a law enforcement officer must read you your rights, which includes advising you of your right to an attorney. You should take advantage of this as soon as possible. Speaking to an attorney early in a case will allow us to properly advise you on the process to come, while beginning to form a strong defense strategy.

Do I Need An Attorney After A DWI Arrest?

Many assume that fighting DWI charges is futile in the face of field sobriety, blood or breath tests conducted. However, we find the results of these tests are often unreliable. Additionally, we investigate whether your rights were violated at any point during the traffic stop or arrest. An experienced lawyer can help guard against the harsh consequences of a DWI arrest and begin the search for opportunities to strengthen your case.

I Gave A False Confession. What Do I Do Now?

Police officers use many interrogatory techniques that can coerce even innocent individuals into giving a false confession. If you fell victim to such tactics, speaking with an attorney immediately is critical to assert and protect your innocence, especially before the case potentially advances to trial.

Will My Case Go To Trial?

Not all criminal cases go to trial. In many cases, the prosecution may offer a plea bargain that is in your best interests. We can advise on when this is the case, as well as when pursuing other alternatives, such as a pretrial diversion program for drug crimes or more, is ideal. In some cases, going to trial is the best option and may be either necessary to minimize the consequences you face.

How Much Time Do I Have To File A Civil Rights Claim After An Arrest?

If you wish to file a civil rights claim after a false arrest, malicious prosecution or more, you must act quickly. Depending on the circumstances involved, New York only allows a limited time frame for victims to file a claim, which can be as short as 90 days. We can advise on what to expect and take efficient action to file your claim.

Get The Opinion Of A Former Prosecutor

Do not wait to speak with an experienced lawyer. Arrange a free initial consultation with our Manhattan lawyers to get your questions answered. Call 646-741-4084 or send us an email.

Hablamos Español.